This is the story of the Geelong Chamber of Commerce and its members since its foundation in 1853. After a hiatus in the latter part of the nineteenth century, the chamber was reconstituted as the Geelong Chamber of Commerce and Manufacturers in 1891. Since then it has represented business interests in Geelong and its region and promoted the economic development of the area. Today the chamber is Geelong’s leading voice of commerce and fosters an attractive and viable environment for business and industry in the region. The chamber provides the people of the region with a progressive and dynamic future, by offering creative and innovative leadership, advocacy, coordination and the promotion of business interests.
Current home of the Geelong Chamber of Commerce, Victorian Business Centre, Moorabool Street, Geelong. Photo: Roy Hay.
Bust of Queen Victoria. The only surviving remnant of the original Geelong Chamber of Commerce building of 1859, which was sold in 1875 and became the Geelong Free Library. It was demolished in 1955. Picture by permission of Richard Annois. Photo: Roy Hay.
Geelong Chamber of Commerce building of 1859 with some of its tenants and others on the steps. Photo: Copyright Geelong Heritage Centre. This picture may not be downloaded or used without the written permission of the GHC.
Roy Hay and G A McLean, Business and Industry, Geelong: A History of the Geelong Chamber of Commerce, 1853-2005.
Image by courtesy of the City of Greater Geelong. The book was published in May 2006 by Sports and Editorial Services Australia in association with the Geelong Chamber of Commerce. Copies are available from the Geelong Chamber of Commerce, Victorian Business Centre, 69 Moorabool Street, Geelong, 3220.
Geelong Chamber of Commerce